A Colorado native with a background in Design, & Technical Theatre and a Master’s of Landscape Architecture.
Currently working with paper, that I cut, tear, slice, and layer to create semi-realistic images. This method creates a painterly quality until you get up close and see that the images are developed through the layering, texture and choice of colored paper.
paper palette sample
Self-taught in this medium, this, expressive, dimensional 2-D art allows the art to be sculptural and creates a sense of place. By constructing fine details, I want to make the art experience real for the viewer by providing an insight into the species and/or environment.
After years of painting and creating many multi-media works, I became intrigued by the possibility of using paper to build a painting and wanted to see if paper could do all that paint can. Using paper in this way limits my palette and challenges my skills to create depth, texture, light and shadow. I enjoy the act of building the work and producing the details of the image. Choosing dramatic landscapes and poses of animals not seen as often, providing visual images that surprise and delight the viewer.
My studio is at ART GYM Denver. It is a welcoming place housing various mediums and artists. It allows me to pursue the creativity of my art and enjoy the buzz of energies around me to full-fill that creativity.
You are welcome to visit me there,
Located at 1460 Leyden St, Denver, CO 80220. https://www.artgymdenver.com
RESUME: JUDITH BERGQUIST
- Artisan and Designer. Planner and Landscape Architect.
- Fabrication, carpenter, welder, scenic artist, and lighting designer.
- Community development facilitator for organizational development and strategic planning.
- Experience teaching various age groups. Adult, Graduate Students, Teens, Elementary.
- Project management, research, design, analysis, and budget management.
- Experienced in historic preservation projects, cultural/natural resource protection management, guidelines and HABs/HAER/HAL’s standards.
- Expertise in Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, Adobe Suite CS5, and Surpass, Polaris
Denver Art Museum. Denver, CO. Dec '19 - present, PT
Assisting exhibits with the re-installation and opening of the Martin building
Art Gym, Denver, CO. Artist July ’17 - present
Create realistic and abstract art using art papers. Also work with acrylics, pastels, and encaustics.
Art CONNECTion, Lakewood, CO. Art Facilitator Team Member, March 2012 – as needed
Team member assisting to provide a creative, pressure-free means of building general team cohesion around company goals, visions and business objective using art creation as a conduit. Assisted with facilitation on collaborative masterpieces and individual creations.
Colorado Center for Community Development – Rural Technical Assistance Program; University of Colorado Denver, College of Architecture and Planning, Den., CO. Associate Director, Oct. 1999 - Sept 2010
- Provided quality land-use and transportation planning and design services to local municipal governments within the Front Range, Northern, and Central mountains of Colorado. Working with low-income neighborhood groups and small rural (low-income) communities. Leveraging resources, alternative funding opportunities, and implementation.
- Provided communities professional design services from conceptual to final phases in architecture remodels, re-use, mixed–use development, senior housing; landscape architecture park and regional trail master planning; wayfinding signage; transportation planning, streetscape master planning, and TOD master planning projects. Focused on health in the built environment
- Provided technical assistance to local and regional government officials on land use planning and broader community development issues, including comprehensive planning, development of land use codes, sustainability, & energy efficiency, downtown revitalization, mass-transportation to promote and incorporate Sustainability and Health in the Built Environment
Regional Theater Companies. LORT-B Theaters in Denver, Tucson, La Jolla, San Diego, Santa Maria, and Anchorage. Various titles: Properties Director, Properties manager, Properties Artisan; Scenery-Props Supervisor; Lighting Designer, Furniture Designer, Furniture Carpenter, Stage Sets Carpenter, Welder, Scenic Artist, Electrician, Lathe Operator, Upholster, Puppet Maker, June1979 - September 1989.
- Inventor, designer, artisan, problem solver; liaison between director and designer.
- Managed show budgets, construction schedules, purchasing, and production schedules for fabricators and suppliers.
University of Colorado at Denver, College of Architecture and Planning, Denver, CO.
Master of Landscape Architecture: 1992.
- American Society of Landscape Architects Honor Award for Design 1992.
- Award for Scholastic Excellence, University of Colorado-Denver, 1992.
- Sigma Lambda Alpha Theta Chapter, 1992.
Webster College, St. Louis, MO.
Bachelor of Fine Arts, Design and Technical Theatre: 1982.
Pacific Conservatory of the Performing Arts, Santa Maria, CA.
Professional training and Undergraduate course work, summers, 1979-1982.
Rocky Mountain Art Conservation Center, Denver, CO.
Art conservation in objects, paper, textiles; under guidance of professional art conservators. 1986-1987